If you are not sure you should call a roofing specialist to replace your roof here are warning signs that will let you know that you surely need to have your roof replaced. Most of these signs can be seen from the ground and by looking in your attic if accessible. If you choose to get on the roof itself and inspect, please use caution as the granules of the roofing shingles could be loose and cause you to slip and possibly fall. Aside from leaks, if you notice below signs then know your roof needs to be replaced.
1. Dark stained or dirty-looking areas on your roof. Most likely causes of any dark or stained looking areas on your roof is a result fungus or algae growth which in turn causes the roof to appear abnormally black or dirty in certain areas. This problem often occurs in warm, humid climates such as the southeastern part of the country. This can be a problem for your roof as the algae or mold starts eating away at the shingle base causing them to loosen and decay.
2. Shingle and also sheathing deterioration.Deterioration of the shingles, or surprisingly more dreadful the sheathing of a rooftop, can be caused by a few factors; one of which is specified beforehand. Shape and green growth can consume the organic base of shingles making them rot. On the off chance that this issue goes on undetected and achieves the sheathing boards, at that point it might be past the point of no return as the sheathing is the association between the shingles and the rafters of the rooftop. In the event that this association is powerless, at that point it makes your rooftop significantly more defenseless against lose amid possibly high breezes amid storms can in the long run bargain the respectability of your rooftop. In the event that your rooftop has all the earmarks of being hanging in zones it could be an indication of a considerably bigger issue called rooftop decay which could prompt the conceivable fall of your rooftop.
3. Missing, buckled, cracked or curled shingles. These signs are typically signs that they might be close to the finish of their valuable life.Due in part to the time and prolonged exposure to the different elements mother nature may throw at them, the shingles on your, unfortunately, will not last forever. In fact, the useful life of your typical asphalt/fiberglass shingle is 20-25 years depending on where you live in the country and the quality of the shingle manufacturer among other factors. Over time the granules that add color to and protect the shingle material from UV rays begin to fall off exposing the material to the elements. Over time this exposure causes the shingles to crack or curl upwards at the edges. Sometimes this cracking can eventually lead to shingles breaking into pieces and flying off the roof or buckling during storms with really high winds.
4. Blistering and peeling of outside paint. This is one of the easiest warning signs to spot. But all too often this sign goes on ignored or attributed to something other than what is most likely causing the problem. This blistering or peeling of outside paint is usually the result of excessive moisture or high humidity due to poor ventilation, especially in the attic. Inadequate ventilation results in hot air being trapped and built up in the attic. This excess heat can not only cook or in essence bake the roofing shingles, but it also causes bubbling, blistering and peeling off the exterior paint around the gables and eaves and even the siding.
5. Excessive energy costs.. More and more homes today are being designed and built with energy efficiency in mind. From the building materials contractors use down to the appliances we choose for our homes, the green initiative is catching on with homeowners and builders alike. For those who live in homes older homes, there is an abundance of light repair projects that can turn that older drafty home into a more modern model of efficiency. One important area of the house to look to for at first is your roof as it can provide you with a good indicator if you are experiencing an increase in the cost heat and cool your home. If not properly ventilated warm air can build up in your attic causing your utility bills to rise excessively in the hot summer months when you are trying to keep the house cool, as well as in the winter when you and your family are trying to stay warm.
So now that you know these important warning signs to spot you can avoid the pain and hassle of dealing with a potentially much larger and costly project than you may have the stomach for. You don’t have to sacrifice that down payment on a new car or that family vacation you were planning to take, but only if you act now before it is too late. Remember, most roofing contractors offer a free inspection so it costs you nothing to at least have your roof looked at for potential problems that can usually be repaired for less than you may think.
Thanks Boston elevator modernization for your generous support!